If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak, your carbon monoxide detector is sounding, or if you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, you should CALL 911 if it is an emergency situation. Otherwise you can call the Rangely Police Department at (970) 675-8466 if it is not an emergency.
If you think you may have carbon monoxide in your home or business, open windows and doors for ventilation and get outside to the open air. The Police Department will dispatch someone from the Town of Rangely Gas Department to investigate the situation. The Gas Department will come to your home or business and test for carbon monoxide free of charge.
Know the Facts about Carbon Monoxide:
- Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It can be produced when combustion of any fuel-heating oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, propane, kerosene, natural gas, coal or wood takes place without sufficient oxygen. You can‚Äôt see or smell it, so CO can accumulate unnoticed and can make you ill or even kill you.
- The risk of CO accumulation is greater in tightly sealed homes or buildings that lack proper ventilation. Dangerous levels of CO can accumulate in your home or garage from the following sources:
- A vehicle running in an enclosed space (garage)
- Fuel-burning appliances that malfunction or are used improperly (such as a water heater or furnace)
- Chimneys or vent pipes that are blocked, improperly installed or corroding
- Look for warning signs of CO poisoning such as flu like symptoms, headaches or drowsiness that disappear when you spend time outside in fresh air.
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by getting appliances serviced once a year prior to heating season and keep carbon monoxide detectors in each room.
- CALL 911 is you suspect a carbon monoxide leak.