- 2.12.010 Appointment--Qualifications—Compensation
The Board of Trustees shall appoint a Town Administrator within ninety (90) days after any vacancy exists in that position. The Town Administrator shall hold office at the pleasure of a majority of the board. He shall be selected solely on the basis of his executive and administrative qualifications with special reference to his training and experience. He shall be compensated for his services as the board may from time to time determine. Upon approval of the board, the Town Administrator may reside outside the Town limits, but only at a location which will allow such person to be available at any hour to respond to emergencies and effectively carry out duties of the position.
- 2.12.020 Powers—Duties
The Town Administrator shall be the Chief Administrative Officer of the Town government. His or her function and duties shall be as follows:
- To be responsible to the board for the efficient administration of all administrative departments of the Town government;
- Supervise the enforcement of all laws and ordinances;
- In accordance with personnel rules and procedures appoint the heads of Town departments and monitor and oversee the appointment of other Town employees but not including officers the appointment of which is reserved by law to the board of trustees;
- Recommend an annual budget to the board and administer the budget as finally adopted and to keep the board fully advised at all times as to the financial condition of the Town;
- Recommend to the board for adoption such measures as he may deem necessary, and to attend board meetings with the right to take part in discussions but not to vote;
- Establish, subject to board approval, appropriate personnel rules and regulations governing officers and employees of the Town;
- Prepare and present to the board an annual report of the Town’s affairs and submit such other reports, as the board shall require;
- Perform such other duties as may be prescribed by provisions of this Code or direction of the board.
- 2.12.030 Administrative organization
The Town Administrator shall propose a plan of administrative organization to the board within sixty (60) days after his or her appointment, which, if approved by the board, shall be adopted by resolution. The administrative plan shall provide for such departments and officers, including those appointed by the board of trustees, as may be deemed necessary for the efficient administration of the Town.
- 2.12.040 Relationship to board of trustees
Neither the Mayor nor any member of the board shall in any way interfere with the Town Administrator in his exercise of the powers and duties granted by any provision of this Code. Except for the purpose of inquiry, the Mayor and members of the board shall deal with the Town Administrator solely through the board, and neither the Mayor nor any member of the board shall give orders to any of the subordinates of the Town Administrator.
- 2.12.050 Board responsibility
Nothing in this title shall impair the responsibility of the board for the overall operation of the Town government as required by the laws of the state.